If you are a manager or supervisor in a retail establishment then you have an important role to play in promoting food safety legislation in the workplace, encouraging other staff members to follow good food hygiene practices and contributing towards the business’ food safety management system. By law, food handlers of all levels must be appropriately trained, and this Level 3 course aims to help managers and supervisors understand their vital day-to-day responsibilities.
The course uses a variety of written text, interactive exercises and video content to provide learners with an up-to-date knowledge of how to comply with food safety law, including information on how to prevent contamination, promote the correct cleaning, hygiene and food temperature controls, and implement the basics of a HACCP food safety management system.
- Matches RSPH and CIEH level 3 syllabus
- Matches REHIS Intermediate Food Hygiene Syllabus
- Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 8-10 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This Level 3 Supervising Food Safety in Retail course is suitable for managers and supervisors in all types of retail establishments, including market stalls, farm shops, grocery stores, supermarkets, butchers, bakers, fishmongers, wholesalers and delicatessens.
Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs states that food handlers must be trained in food hygiene matters ‘commensurate with their work activities.’ This Level 3 Supervising Food Safety in Retail course ensures that managers and supervisors comply with this regulation by providing a detailed knowledge of food safety principles, promoting best practice among workers in the retail premises and an understanding of how to implement a HACCP food safety management system.
The course is also recommended for catering businesses who are aiming to achieve a level 5 in the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (formerly Scores on the Doors), understand more about the Safer Food, Better Business for Retail pack and have knowledge of how to implement an effective HACCP system. If you are a food handler below the level of manager or supervisor then the Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Retail training course is more suited to your needs.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Additionally, this course is endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality as providing independently-evaluated, quality content that teaches good practice standards.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Environmental Health Officer Approved
This course has been audited and approved by Environmental Health Officers: the training materials have been independently reviewed and are verified as containing the necessary knowledge to achieve the level of training specified.
Aims of the Training
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand why food hygiene and safety practices are essential for all food handlers in a retail environment.
- Have awareness of the relevant food safety legislation and how it can be complied with.
- Understand the different ways in which food can be contaminated and how these risks can be effectively controlled.
- Have knowledge of the way that bacteria can affect food and make it unfit for consumption, plus know how to control the risk.
- Be able to state the safe temperatures for cooking, chilling and freezing food and understand how to take temperature readings.
- Understand the importance of cleaning schedules, managing waste and pest control.
- Know what the law requires in regards to personal hygiene when working in a food retail premises.
- Understand the basics of implementing a HACCP food safety management system and recognize the relevance of auditing and inspection.
Once you have completed all of the online training material you will be able to take the online assessment. The assessment consists of 45 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked instantly so you will know whether you have passed as soon as you finish.
If you don’t pass the assessment you can review the course material and take the assessment again as many times as necessary at no extra charge